The use and success of using dog teams on searches is becoming recognized universally and CVGSAR is fortunate to have 3 validated K9 teams in their ranks, including the only Avalanche team on Vancouver Island. All three of the teams are validated in the Wilderness Air Scent profile.
K9 teams are validated annually by the RCMP, and are assessed in Wilderness Searching, Wilderness Navigation and Obedience.
To become a K9 team a number of conditions must be met. At a very high level:
- The handler must be a member of a recognized GSAR team in BC, and have at least 2 years of experience post GSAR certification.
- The puppy must go through a puppy-assessment between 6 months and 2 years of age, and be accepted into the program.
- Dog and handler train, train, and train some more.
- Dog and handler team are assessed by the RCMP, and if successful, receive their validation.
- Ongoing training and annual recertifications by the RCMP.
For a comprehensive description of the requirements, click on the BC Search Dog Association (BCSDA) and/or Canadian Avalanche Rescue Dog Association (CARDA) links below.
We will find you.
Excited to share our new video "We Will Find You." Thanks to @TOPO Films and @Patagonia for their support. Head to www.bcsda.ca to learn more, get involved or support!Also, check out our GoFundMe campaign:https://www.gofundme.com/bcsda-201718-campaignPosted by British Columbia Search Dog Association on Thursday, October 19, 2017